Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Embroidering on burlap

 
 
You may think embroidering on such a loose weave fabric might be close to impossible.
 
Nope.
 
I'm here to tell you... it's easy - you just need to take a few precautions.
 
First, I never hoop my burlap for fear of stretching or pulling the weave.
I use water-soluble stabilizer in my hoop and carefully pin my burlap in place.
After placing my hoop into my machine and before I start stitching I add another piece of water-soluble stabilizer on top to keep the stitches from sinking into the large loose weave.
 
Stitch as usual.
 
Carefully cut away (do not tear) the water-soluble stabilizer as close to your design as possible.
Using a damp cloth, carefully dab the water-soluble stabilizer on and around your design until all the stabilizer has completly dissolved.
Iron your burlap to dry and smooth out any wrinkles.
 
In the above photo I added a ruffle to the ends of my table runner using a small zig zag stitch.
 
If you prefer, (to keep your burlap from raveling) you can just finish off the edges using a small zig zag as in the photo below.
 
 
On the projects below -  I did both...
I added a ruffle on the short end and finished off the sides with a small zig zag stitch.
 
 
 
I stitched these projects before thinking about making a step by step tutorial with pictures.
 I you have any questions just shoot me a quick e-mail or comment and I will be glad to answer any questions.
 
Hope you will try give burlap a try.
It's "sew" easy.
 
 
 

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Sew this is brillant!!