Friday, June 19, 2015

Learned something new....

 
I've been wanting to try my hand at some of the cute little things made from pre-cut jelly rolls, layer cakes, charm packs, etc.
 
 Mr. Fisherman purchased gift cards for me at Christmas from a local quilt/fabric shop. 
 
Yes, I said Christmas.
I just haven't had the time to shop until now.
 
 I thought this might be a good opportunity to try something new.
 
My jelly roll...
 

 After purchasing my jelly roll I learned not all jelly rolls are alike.
 
I checked out a few of the patterns I had in mind and found they took
 40 -  2 1/2 x 44 inch strips to complete.
My jelly roll has only 30 - 2 1/2 x 44 strips.
 
After a bit of (jelly roll) research, I found out the number of strips in a roll may vary by manufacturer or collection.
Some manufacturers have as few as 11 strips and some as many as 41.
 
All I'm saying is...  just be careful when you purchase your jelly roll and make sure you have as many strips as needed for your pattern.
 
This is still a really cute and usable jelly roll, I just may have to rethink my plans for it.
 
I also purchased a box of 50 Clover binding clips.
 
 
I love using bias tape, binding and piping and have been wanting to try these for sometime.
These little clips are a bit pricey and I would probably not have purchased them without a gift card.
 
 But, hey....
Isn't that what gift cards are for -  to buy something you would normally not buy for yourself?
 
 
Have you used these clips?
How do you like them - verses pins?
 
I'm thinking about another washcloth...
 
 
 
 
 
 
Or, maybe even a new Sorbetto...
 
 
Whatever I decide...
I can't wait to try them.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Clover clips!? Never heard of them but personally I would prefer those to stabbing myself with pins :)