Sunday, June 14, 2015

Crying over spilled....... coffee?

 
 
Not me.
I just cut the stain off and keep going....
 
 
Before the coffee stain this was a perfectly good (almost new) bar mop towel.
 
Rather than throw it away, I chose to repurpose this baby into a new washcloth using a bit of bias tape and embroidery.
 
 
Here's how it went...
 
After cutting off the stain I had enough left to cut an 11 1/2 square from the remainder of the bar mop.
 
I then rounded my corners using my fancy schmancy French curve.
 
 
If you don't have a French curve, you can use a coffee cup or saucer to round the corners.
 
 
I serged the edges to keep the towel from raveling.
 
 
 If you don't have a serger, a zigzag stitch will work just fine.
 
  Open your bias tape and pin it right side down on the serged edge.
 
 
Pin all the way around leaving about 2 inches overlap at both the beginning and end of your bias tape. 
 
 
Pinch the overlapped ends together as below and mark the point at which they meet.
 
 
Stitch across this line and trim to 1/4 inch.
 
 
Lay your bias tape flat again and continue pinning.
 

Using a straight stitch, stitch on the fold all the way around.
 
 
Once you have stitched the whole way around, wrap the bias tape over the serged edge to the other side and pin.
 
 
 I usually use the "stitch in the ditch" method to finish sewing my bias tape, but decided to try something different. I used a small zigzag stitch and stitched from the pinned side. I zigged on the towel and zagged on the bias tape....in other words, make sure you catch the bias with one stitch and the towel with the other.
 
You can barely see my zigzag stitches from either side.
 
 
You can stop there and have a perfectly cute washcloth...
 
 
....or add a bit of embroidery.
 
 
And have an even cuter one!
 
 
I'm thinking about stitching up a few more to have on hand for quick gifts, adding
 facial cleanser and a head band.
 
 
 See....
 
 
no need to cry over spilled.... coffee.
 
 
Just cut it off and move on....
 
Happy Monday!
 
 
Linking today to:

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Nice! Would have never thought of adding bias tape :-)

Kim said...

You are very talented. I would love to be able to do this!