Monday, October 28, 2013

Recycled sweatshirt


Here in Florida, October weather is usually fairly warm.
A few years ago our weatherman predicted colder weather on Halloween day.
Wanting something warm and festive for my daughter to wear to school the next day, I quickly got busy recycling an old sweatshirt.
I'm sure you've all seen this idea before, but I just thought I would share how quick and easy this was to make.
No need for buttons, zippers or even an embroidery machine!
 
 
All I did was simply cut the sweatshirt down the middle for the front opening and cut the ribbed neckline off.
I made a small amount of bias tape and attached it around the neckline and down the front opening.


 I used the same fabric as I did for the bias tape for my applique.
 I ironed fusible web to the back of my fabric and simply cut squares around a few of the designs to use as applique.
I then placed the squares onto the sweatshirt and ironed them on.
 
 
No need for an embroidery machine to sew these on.
I just satin stitched around each design and I was done!
Most sewing machines have a zigzag stitch and with just a few adjustments you can turn that zigzag into a nice satin stitch.
Once you master the satin stitch, there will be no stopping you!


2 comments:

Debbie said...

OMG...what a great idea! Never heard of it before :) very cute...now I will hope for cooler weather!

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

What a nifty project! Thanks for sharing. I put in my first zipper in a little bag the other day. It was a replacement and I did it by hand. I felt so accomplished!
Blessings,
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage